Welcome to the Daniel Plan KICK OFF Prior to WEEK One
We are not embarking on just “another Bible Study” but a serious way that we can change our lives by learning how by Faith and education on how to dedicate our body to God in healthy way and become a true nutritional temple for the Holy Spirit. This is not a “quick fix” diet to drop pounds, but a faith based program to become closer to God, healthier in our Spiritual walk, including our physical body, and emotional health. We are not watching the scale; however, losing weight will be a by-product of our new healthier lifestyle.
We will meet on a weekly basis on www.mysaddleback.com but you will do the Daniel Plan daily, as well as checking in with your accountability partner.
First a little bit of history as to why this was originally called the Daniel Plan by Rick Warren.
This was created originally with the Daniel Fast in mind, and this is what a fast consisted of:
What is the Daniel Fast?
The word fast indicates a period of abstinence, usually
involving food or drink, for religious and spiritual purposes.
The Daniel fast is a specific type of fast based on scriptures
from the book of Daniel, an Old Testament prophet. This
particular fast is a partial fast, where participants consume a
The guidelines for the Daniel Fast are found in two places in
Daniel: 1. Daniel 1: 8-15 (New International Version) “But
Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and
wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to
defile himself this way. Now God had caused the official to
show favor and compassion to Daniel, but the official told
Daniel, “I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned
your food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse
than the other young men your age? The king would then
have my head because of you.”
Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had
appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah,
“Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but
vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our
appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal
food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you
see.” 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.
At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better
nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food.
From this passage, we see that Daniel and the others only ate
fruits and vegetables and drank only water.
- Daniel 10: 2-3 (King James Version) “ In those days I Daniel
was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant bread, neither
came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at
all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”
Daniel refused to eat any “pleasant bread;” following that cue,
participants in the Daniel Fast avoid unleavened bread and
baked goods, along with wine, sweeteners, and meat.
Why is the Daniel Plan so effective?
To grow closer to God
As an act of worship
To prepare for worship
To prepare for ministry opportunities
To experience God’s revelation of His will
Additionally, there are certain health benefits to living a healthier lifestyle:
You rid your body of toxins
You develop healthier eating habits
You can lower high blood pressure
You eventually curb your cravings towards healthier food items
Assignments for the Introduction Week Daniel Plan Kick OFF.
- The textbook is located on our Facebook group, the Daniel Plan for Life:https://www.facebook.com/groups/danielplanforlife
2. Look under the File section, the PDF book is there, along with the Journal, Cook Book, and Jump Start Guide. (Critical information).
3. Register under www.danielplan.com to track your daily progress
4. Consult your physician if there are any questions regarding your health before you start the Daniel Plan.
5. Read the Daniel Plan DETOX on page 29
6. In the Book, “The Daniel Plan 40 Days to a Healthier Life” read chapters 1-4 which covers the history etc…..
7. The first week reading assignment is Chapters 5-8 (this will be for Week 1)If you choose to read ahead.
8. Get an Accountability Partner, joining the Facebook page is also a great way to fellowship.
9. We repeat this study week after week, because to us it is a lifestyle plan, not just a Bible Study.
10. In this week before we start the actual Daniel plan read in your Journal pages 1-28.
Video’s are not required:
They are located at the very bottom of a very busy Daniel Plan Facebook page or
You can purchase the DVD videos from Saddleback, this website has the first week here at no cost.
I purchased the DVD not too long ago from Saddleback Resources which covers all the weeks of the study. It is up to you, and again, not required. www.saddleback.com
See you next week!!!!